National Literacy Trust – Words for Work Programme
We are looking for businesses to support our students.
Words for Work provides young people with the literacy skills they need to shape and achieve their aspirations. Students work with volunteers from businesses on activities designed to transfer knowledge of the workplace from volunteers to students.
What we need
5-10 people to volunteer per school for a total of five hours over two events and a training session (not including travel).
Who we need
Anyone across the company, ranging from admin staff to senior executives.
When – hoping to run the first programme before the end of the summer term with Swindon College
One hour for a training session
Two hours for session 1 (business immersion day)
Two hours for session 2 (networking event)
We will work with you and the college to identify suitable times and dates.
Business immersion day
You will host students in your office. We will need a conference room to host the 20 students and 5-10 volunteers.
The volunteers will:
- Lead the students on an office tour, asking them to note down the forms of communication they see taking place
- Present to the group of students a summary of their jobs and explain how they use communication skills in their jobs every day
- Participate in a speed interview with a group of students and answer the students’ questions about their jobs and career path
- Volunteers will share tips and tricks on interviewing skills that they can practice before the next session
The sessions will be led by the National Literacy Trust and supported by volunteers.
- Volunteers will be invited to attend a networking event at the school
- During this session volunteers will help students with things such as CV writing, top tips for completing job application forms and participation in mock interviews
- National Literacy Trust staff will help to facilitate the day
- You will also be invited to share any work experience or apprenticeships opportunities (if available)